Start Your New Adventure
Become a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Bearkat today!
Sam Houston State University (SHSU) College of Osteopathic Medicine (COM) seeks to prepare students for the degree of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) with an emphasis toward primary care and rural practice, to develop culturally aware, diverse and compassionate physicians, who follow osteopathic principles, that are prepared for residency, and will serve the people of Texas with professionalism and patient-centered care.
DO Bearkats will get involved in the community and spend time learning about patients as people. They also have solid communication skills and enjoy getting to know a diverse range of people from many different backgrounds and socioeconomic groups.
College of Osteopathic Medicine
The Vision of the SHSU College of Osteopathic Medicine is to provide medical education and service to the eastern region of Texas, and be recognized as a leader in improving primary care access and workforce needs in the state
How to get into SHSU-COM medical school...
Admissions Requirements & Pre-requisities*
- Must be a U.S. citizens or legal Permanent Residents of the U.S. to be eligible for admissions review and consideration. If submitted information indicates you aren’t a U.S. citizen or permanent resident but that you may qualify for residency based on Texas high school graduation, you will be asked to submit a Residency Affidavit to TMDSAS.
- Bachelor’s degree from a U.S. College or University accredited by a Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board recognized accrediting body. Some course may be in progress but must be completed before enrollment.
- Completion of the following courses with no grade below "C" (2.0 on a 4.0 scale)*
- English, 6 credit hours
- Biology, including laboratory; 8 credit hours
- Physics, including laboratory; 8 credit hours
- General Chemistry, including laboratory; 8 credit hours
- Organic Chemistry, including laboratory; 8 credit hours (Biochemistry can be substituted for Organic Chemistry II)
- Mathematics, 6 credit hours - 3 hours must be Statistics
- Submit your Altus Assessments (Casper & Duet). All assessments are required.
* All academic courses attempted at a college or university accredited by an agency recognized by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board will be reviewed for transferability.
Requirements Prior to Enrollment
- Submit an official transcript showing a bachelor's degree conferral from a U.S. College or University accredited by a Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board recognized accrediting body
- Submit an official transcript(s) with final grades for prerequisite coursework
- Pass a criminal background check through CastleBranch
- Receive approval from CastleBranch for all required immunizations
- Influenza- Within one year from administered date
- MMR Combined (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
- Tetanus- Completed DPT (4+ vaccines) series
- Hepatitis B- 3-vaccine series with at least 2 of the 3 vaccines completed prior to enrollment OR positive antibody titer
Who can you contact with questions?
For assistance, support, and guidance with admissions, financial aid, and more, contact SHSU-COM Enrollment Services at 936.202.5202, enrollCOM@seovietnam.net.
Support Your Journey
At SHSU-COM, we have many resources available to help you along your journey to becoming a physician!
Get To Know SHSU-COM Enrollment Services Better...
- Collaborative Problem-based Learning
- Culture of Compassion, Integrity, and Respect
- Excellence in Primary Care
- Community Leadership
- Student Health and Wellness